Written by Maddie Lewin
With the weather warming up in the Southern Hemisphere we have been inspired to bring you some refreshing mocktail recipes to reinvigorate your days, no matter where you are in the world. The following recipes are Naturopath-approved and oh-so delicious!
SWAP INSTEAD OF ELIMINATE!
As a Clinical Naturopath, when talking with my clients about changing habits, I find suggesting healthy ‘swaps’ is the best way to insight positive change. If you’ve ever tried strict diets where you are cutting out so many things, you’ve most likely found it is difficult to stick to. When you are in the mindset of eliminating foods altogether, you feel restricted and are less likely to stick to the diet. This diet culture mindset of restriction doesn’t come from a place of self love, and rather fosters feelings of guilt around food. The mindset behind swapping to healthier alternatives that will taste delicious is an act of self-love and self-care, instead of attaching negative connotations to such changes.
By replacing sugar and chemical laden cocktails with a beverage that is delicious, healthy, and makes you feel fabulous, you’ll be able to find joy in creating a positive change and will be more likely to stick to it.
Common ingredients in conventional cocktails are full of sugar, artificial sweeteners, colouring and alcohol. These chemical laden ingredients bring about short lived feelings of pleasure and elation, only to then be met with energy crashes, headaches and mood swings. By replacing these with natural, uplifting plant medicines, notice the difference in the way of sustained energy levels, an elevated mood without over-stimulation or feelings of anxiousness, and a natural high. Open your heart to the natural highs available to you, just as Mother Nature intended. Life’s too short for diets, restriction and feeling average!
4 POWERFUL PLANT MOCKTAILS THAT WILL GET YOU POPPIN!
Try something different this weekend! Your body and taste buds will thank you for it. These are my top 4 powerful plant medicines recipes provided to us from Mother Nature, with all of their mood-boosting, anti-ageing, energy-lifting goodness! All recipes are vegan and contain Elixirs from Anima Mundi Apothecary and Organic Tea from Lewin Naturopathy.
1. Magic Mojo-ito
This mocktail is an elating twist on the classic sugar-filled Mojito. The blissful mix of herbs within this mocktail provide you with an antioxidant boost, a natural energy buzz and a calm and joyful disposition. Add the naturally cooling effects of mint and the zest of fresh lime, this refreshing mocktail MUST be enjoyed outside in the sunshine!
- 2 tsp Anima Mundi Euphoria Elixir
- 1.5 tbsp Maple Syrup, or Rice Malt Syrup
- 2 sprigs Fresh Mint
- 1 Fresh Lime (juiced)
- 600ml Soda Water
- Ice cubes
- Add mint, Soda Water and sweetener of choice into a jug and stir.
- Squeeze the juice of lime into the jug and stir well.
- Add the Euphoria Elixir and ice cubes and stir a final time.
2. Hibiscus Summer Iced Tea
Radiate from within with this invigorating, vitamin C packed iced tea. Whilst sipping on this pink iced delight, you may notice a deep sense of calm, clarity of mind and a natural boost of energy from the herbs used. Super hydrating, refreshing and with zero refined sugars, you’ll never go back to store-bought iced tea again!
- 600ml Organic Love Tea (Lewin Naturopathy)
- 2 tsp Anima Mundi Cerebrum Tonic
- 2 sprigs of Fresh Mint
- 5 Fresh Strawberries (frozen will also work well)
- Ice cubes
- Brew 500ml of Organic Love Tea with hot water and place it in the fridge to cool overnight.
- Thinly slice strawberries.
- Mix the iced tea, strawberries and mint into a jug and stir.
- Enjoy outside in the sunshine.
3. Berry Boost Fruit Mocktail
Ditch the depressant effects of alcohol and the rollercoaster ride of sugar, this mocktail will sustainably elevate your mood, without the crash. The herbs with the Happiness Tonic have a dopamine and/or serotonin (the happy hormones) regulating effect which work together to boost your mood naturally! This beverage is an absolute crowd pleaser with the refreshing taste of ginger and natural sweetness from passion fruit and berries, this is sunshine in mocktail form!
- 2 tbsp Anima Mundi Happiness Tonic
- 600ml Ginger Kombucha
- 1 handful frozen raspberries
- 2 Passionfruit (pulp)
- Ice Blocks
- Spoon pulp out for the passionfruit and add to jug.
- Add all other ingredients to the jug and gently stir.
4. If You Like Pina & Chaga (Pina Colada)
And getting caught in the rain… (sorry, not sorry!)
This one really packs a healthful punch and is naturally creamy and delicious! This healthy twist on the traditional Pina Colada, is full of healthy fats from coconut, which keep you satiated whilst stopping you from craving a sugar hit later in the day. This mocktail is also full of high quality adaptogenic herbs and mushrooms. When a herbal medicine is said to be adaptogenic, this means that they help your system adapt to daily stressors and help prevent burn out. Pineapple aids digestion as the enzymes within this fruit actually help to break down other foods. This one is a real game changer!
- 2 tsp Anima Mundi Adaptogenic Tonic
- 1 Fresh Lime
- 600ml Coconut Water
- 1 tbsp Organic Coconut Cream
- ¼ Pineapple
- Ice cubes
- Chop the pineapple into 3 cm chunks.
- Add Adaptogenic Tonic, pineapple, freshly squeezed lime, coconut water and coconut cream into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Place mixture into a jug and add ice blocks.
NOTE: Please consult your healthcare professional if you are on any medications to check for any potential contraindications.